2/27/09

My Turn




Well since Katy already had the chance to share her story, I guess it’s my turn. I first found NASCAR in 2004 and since then, Kevin Harvick has always been my “go-to” driver. By the end of that season I was a card carrying member of his official fan club and managed to pick up quite a few pieces of memorabilia. That was the same year they instituted the Chase and when Harvick didn’t make the Chase, I turned my focus to Kurt Busch. Luckily for me, that was the same year he won his Championship.



As Katy already told you, we went to the Coca-Cola 600 in 2007, but what she didn’t tell you is that we saw Casey Mears win his first race ever. That same year I headed to Indianapolis with some friends for the Brickyard. We ended up camping at the track and I think everyone should do that at least once in their life. I made some friends that I still have! We saw Tony Stewart climb the fence on that one.



The next month I headed to Michigan International Speedway, which would go down as one of the more unusual races in history. Rain delayed the race until Monday and more rain pushed it back to Tuesday. That’s when I knew I was a real race fan. I headed north Tuesday morning to the track, the highway was closed due to flooding and I had to take the back way. It took me nearly 5 hours to drive the 3 hour trip, but it was worth every penny when I got to see Kurt Busch take the checkered flag.



This year Katy and I were lucky enough to spend an entire week in Charlotte for the Coke 600 where we saw Kasey Kahne walk away with the win. We also saw Kyle Busch win the Nationwide race that same week and we toured nearly every race shop possible. We also went to the Brickyard this year, where the tire situation went out of control and Jimmie Johnson won the race.



I’ve also been lucky enough to see the Prelude to the Dream at Eldora three of the four years they held it. I saw Kenny Wallace win the first year, Carl Edwards win the second year and Tony Stewart win this last year. I’ve also met more than my fair share of drivers including Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, Elliott Sadler, David Ragan, Kyle Busch and David Stremme. I’ve even met The Biff a time or two in the past!



Today you’ll still find that I’m a card carrying member of the Kevin Harvick fan club, but I’ve also added both Busch brothers to my roster. I also like supporting the lesser known drivers like David Ragan and David Stremme. In the future you’ll probably find some tips and personal stories on here and who knows what else. Katy’s just about as random as I am so keep checking back because you never know what you’ll find here.

No comments:

Post a Comment