When we headed to Charlotte in 2008 Jenn and I knew that we had to visit Joe Gibbs Racing. Her mom loves Tony Stewart and Jenn and I both were on the way to becoming huge Kyle Busch fans. At the time we made our visit Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin, and Kyle Busch were the three driving under the JGR banner. While Tony has moved to his own team the #20 Home Depot car, now driven by rookie Joey Logano, is still alive and kicking. I'm sure that even with the changes much at JGR has remained the same.
- Joe Gibbs Racing is located in Huntersville, NC. It's the only race shop located in Huntersville but it's still worth making the short drive. Depending on where you are staying in the Charlotte area it should only take you 15 to 20 minutes to reach the shop. Here are the directions just in case you need them.
- JGR is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm
- Parking is located directly in front of the entrance. There are plenty of spaces on most days but if you are visting during Coke 600 week you might have to park on the road in front of the building. Still you should not have a problem.
- The entrance of JGR is filled with cars from past and current drivers. When we were there they had a Bobby Labonte Interstate Batteries car and a few others on display.
- The walls in the entry area are covered with large display cases. There is a display case for each of the current drivers. The display cases hold the drivers fire suits as well as trophies that have been won while driving for JGR. Another display case holds a huge selection of driver helmets worn over the years.
- The observation area where you can look down into the race shop is located off the entrance and is wide enough for many people to see the action taking place below.
- The walls in the observation area are lined with more trophies and memorbilia.
- The race shop isn't open like others we have visited but you can still see plenty of stuff going on. You are seperated from the shop floor by a giant window so it's not great for taking pictures but you still might be able to get a few decent ones.
- The JGR gift shop is located next to the observation area and is open from 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday - Friday.
- The gift shop has everything a fan could want. Jenn was bound and determined not to leave without a race used tire. Luckily there wasn't room for it in the car. (I joke that she is building a race car one used piece at a time). Nearly every item that can be purchased in the gift shop can also be purchase online so if you can't make it to the shop you can still get the great merchandise.
Have you been to Joe Gibbs Racing? Tell us your story!