7/30/09

If I Were A Nationwide Driver I Would Be Annoyed

When I first started following NASCAR back in the mid 1990's it was unheard of for a cup driver to do double duty in the Nationwide Series. The Nationwide (then the Busch series) Series was for those up and coming drivers who weren't ready to trade paint with the big boys. Granted I didn't pay much attention but I would have noticed if the big names in the sport were spending their Saturday's on the track too. Whatever happened to that?


I enjoy seeing the cup guys win just as much as the next gal but, seriously, this total domination by the Sprint Cup guys in the Nationwide Series has got to stop. It's bad for the sport. Don't get me wrong, I love Kyle Busch and I'm always going to cheer for him if he's in the race, but should he and the other cup drivers be allowed to drive in the Nationwide Series on a regular basis? How are the up and coming guys going to get noticed when all you see on the leader board week in and week out is Carl Edwards or Kyle Busch winning another race. I can't imagine being a driver on the circuit trying to break into fame and having to deal with the most recognized names in the sport getting all the publicity. It would suck.

During the 2009 season practically every race has been won by a cup series regular. Don't believe me?

  • Tony Stewart won in Daytona
  • Kyle Busch has won at Fontana, Texas, Richmond, Nashville, Loudon, and Gateway
  • Greg Biffle won at Las Vegas and Phoenix
  • Matt Kensth took home the checkers at Darlington
  • Joey Logano has three wins to his credit coming in Nashville, Kentucky, and Chicago
  • David Ragan finished on top in Talladega
  • Carl Edwards has wins in Indianapolis and Milwukee
  • Clint Bowyer won Daytona the second time around
  • Brad Keselowski who has a cup win to his name (albeit by a fluke) won in Dover
  • Mike Bliss won the race in Charlotte though Kyle would have won had it not been for the rain.

I understand that Carl and Kyle are fighting it out for the championship but I'd rather see them fighting it out for the Sprint Cup, wouldn't you?




No comments:

Post a Comment